Dry skin and callous can be caused by a number of systemic conditions including diabetes and an under-active thyroid. Poor footwear is also a contributing factor, especially in shoes with open backs.
The pain associated with cracked heels may be very little to begin with. However if they develop into open wounds, then walking may become very uncomfortable as well as being unsightly.
- Following the advice of the podiatrist:
- Proper fitting shoes with a closed back and good retaining medium
- Use of emollients and commercial preparations specifically for feet
- Assessment to determine cause of cracked heels
- Removal of dry skin and callous; cracked heels may not heal if the overlying callous is not reduced.
- Wound treatment.
- Advice on footwear
- Advice on emollients and creams